Batteries provide the energy to power electric vehicles motor and all there components.
What are the factors affecting EV batteries?
- Temperature – Both ambient air and the heat generated itself when the vehicle is running affect an EV battery life. EV batteries require a specific temperature range to perform at their best. Temperatures which are outside of this range will start to have a detrimental impact on the performance of an electric vehicle.
- Weight – The weight of an electric vehicle will also have a direct impact on the efficiency of a vehicle. However, EV are generally heavier vehicles due to the battery due to them containing large amounts of lithium and lead. It is the additional weight of the vehicle that is important. Exceeding recommended weight limits will lead to a strain on performance issues. In order for the vehicle to perform normally, the battery is having to overcompensate for the extra weight.
- Vehicle use and care – From charging the vehicles to often to storing them in unsuitable conditions , there are numerous bad practices which can have a negative impact on the overall performance. Furthermore, leaving a battery on low charge continuously can lead to a reduction in the overall lifespan., keeping the battery level between 20% and 80% is optimum to make your battery last longer.
Can EV batteries be recycled?
Due to battery technology improving all the time it probably wouldn’t be a viable choice to change a battery in an old electric vehicle. However, they can be recycled. Once their lifespan in an EV comes to an end, it is common for them to be used for domestic or commercial energy store. This will include retaining the electricity produced by home solar panels during the daytime for release in the evening.
How to maximise the lifespan of batteries.
- Keep the battery within its optimal temperature range, especially in extreme climates.
- Limit fast charging sessions and rely on slower charging when possible.
- Practice smooth and efficient driving techniques.
- Follow the manufacturers maintenance guidelines and service the vehicle regularly.
Hydrogen Combustion Could Be The New Alternative For EV – https://autoserve.co.uk/motoring-news/hydrogen-combustion-could-be-the-new-alternative-for-ev/
Why EV’s Should Consider A Guaranteed Maintenance Contract – https://autoserve.co.uk/motoring-tips-advice/why-evs-should-consider-a-guaranteed-maintenance-contract/
With over 16,000 approved garages, a 24/7 service and a host of cost-saving offers, Autoserve can keep your car running smoothly. Call one of our professional Service Advisors on 0121 521 3500 for more details. After all one call does it all!